Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Power Tools and Crafts

Our purchase of a power saw last week was a success! I got to try it out on my first project this week (with the husbands help of course). I saw this great idea for a holiday decoration a few weeks ago but I never found time to actually do it before christmas. better late than never right? and now i'll have it for next year.
I got:
Wood from Home Depot ( i think it was a 2x6?)
Wood Stool Legs from Home Depot (in 2 different heights)
Wood Finials from Michaels
Round Wood Plaques from Michaels
Spray Paint in black from Home Depot
Sand Paper from Home Depot
Twine from Joanns
Burlap fabric from Joanns
Double Sided Screws from Home Depot
Decorative Brads from Michaels
and
Stencils from Michaels

The assembly took a little help from my husband. He screwed the stool legs into the round wood plaques, as well as the Flat pieces of Wood into the stool legs. then he also screwed the wood finials on top - all with double sided screws.



After they were spray painted, and dried. i took some sand paper to them to make them look distressed and to take away some of the shine from the spray paint.


I cut the burlap fabric into pieces to fit on the flat wood parts and then used stencils to create the letters, i used acrylic paint and stencil brush. ( FYI - Burlap makes a mess! especially when cut!)

I put these decorative brads on each corner of the burlap, it was easy cause they pushed right through the burlap.


I had twine left over from making my Valentines Day wreath (pictures to come as soon as it stops raining) i used the twine to tie on the wood finials for extra decoration.


I hot glued the burlap and brads in place. AND FINISHED! TADA! they came out so cute!

I cant wait until next christmas, I can just see these on my windows with some fresh garland and candles. I love christmas!


FINISHED PRODUCT
This idea is pretty cool cause you can create it to fit whatever you want. You can use it as a picture frame (use cute decorative clamps to hold your picture in place), recepie holder (use sheet metal instead of burlap and magnets to hold your recp. in place), or instead of burlap get some mesh wiring and hang earings on it.
My next project is a couple of picture frames that i painted and distressed to match our master bedroom, but... i smudged them thinking they were dry too soon, i'll have to redo them another day.






3 comments:

  1. Those turned out adorable, I love it! Keep posting your ideas, you are inspiring me to be crafty haha. I think I might make one as a recipe card holder for my kitchen. I can't wait to actually move and start all these projects =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish i had more time to do crafts. cant wait to see pictures of what you do with your new house. congrats again! i'll keep my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are very cute! Can you believe you'll have a little baby here in NINE WEEKS!!! AHHHHH! I can't wait to cuddle her!

    ReplyDelete