Sunday, December 4, 2011

20 Months Old

Well, here we are again. Another month has passed and this one went too quickly. Time didn't just fly by, it was in super speed. I know I've said this before, but we are getting closer and closer to the big TWO year mark. And the other day someone asked me how old she was, when I replied "20 months" my heart did a little pitter patter. 20 months sounds a lot like 24 months. And then someone asked me when she would be able to start dance class (which starts at 2 years) and I replied "in 4 months" my heart did another pitter patter. 4 months?! So soon? Just saying that was hard to take in. She will be 2 years old in 4 months...

Sometime during this past month it occurred to me that we were quickly reaching the "terrible twos". Harlow definitely has her moments that test my patience. I use to be able to count to three to get her attention and she would quickly stop what she was doing. Now, she only stops to count along with me. So frustrating! She understands when she is being naughty because she is quick to say, "sorry mama". And some where along the way she learned how to be sneaky. I see her steal glances my way before she sneaks off to do something she knows she's not suppose to be doing.

My newest struggle as a mom is discipline. How do I discipline her when I know she is too young to understand a time out. And swatting her on her bottom isn't really the greatest tactic to teach her things (like not to hit, how can she get in trouble for hitting me if I turn around and swat her right back). I've also caught myself having to choose my words wisely. She has started to use the phrase "come back here right now" in general terms. Such as "Mia, come back here right now!" In the same tone of voice I use when I say it to her when she is in trouble or I'm trying to keep her from harms way. Or the simple terms we first taught her, like, "give me". "Give me the cup," etc. Now she says "give me toys," etc. Which just sounds so bratty and spoiled. But she doesn't know any better. She doesn't understand how to use those phrases in different situations yet. I have been really trying to lower my voice a little when I am explaining something to her or disciplining her. I don't want her to think you have to raise your voice to be heard. Especially because at her age, it just makes her sound bossy and bratty! We are constantly correcting her sentences. We are diligently trying to teach her to add "May I" to the front of a lot of her requests. Instead of her yelling "Milk!" we quickly have her repeat her request with "May I have milk please".

It seems like Harlow has so much to learn, but in reality. I do too!

Her newest words, sentences or phrases:

Hold hands
Holding hands
Like a baby (as in hold me like a baby)
Watch a movie
Turn it on
I'm driving
Push the buttons
Penguin
I tooted
Oh man
Look at me!
Tickle
I'm funny mom
Brush mommy's hair
Mommy's hair broken (was how she described my hair when it was in a messy bun)
She's sleeping
Stay there
I'm stuck
Gobble gobble
Oh Oh Ah Ah (monkey sounds)
Swiper no have it (from Dora)
Tail
Where's tail?
Elbow
Knee
Shoulder
Toenail
I'm tired
Good girl
Be nice
Say sorry
No thank you
Are you ok?
Donkey
I be right back, k?
I go potty
iPad
She can count from 1-13
Painted toenails
Oppsie
Cupcake
I bonked head
Poke eye
Goat
Big yawn
Broccoli
I want broccoli
Grapes
It's raining
Let me do it
I dropped it
May I have...
Baby Jesus
Angel
Christmas tree
Santa
Ho Ho Ho
Get me down
Let me try it
Madagascar
Happy turkey day
Put it away
All better
I'm screaming
Squeeze
Nice girl
Ready set go
Roll over
Amelia
Say cheese
Take a picture
Watch me
I did it!
I eat lunch
Please stop dad
Drum
Snowman
Yup
Jake (from Jake and the Neverland Pirates)
Harlow do it?
Jake and the pirates
Refrigerator
Reindeer
Yippee
Oopsie
Whats the matter?

Whew! After all that, enjoy these pictures that Harlow had no interest in taking.


























No comments:

Post a Comment