Saturday, January 12, 2013

Lennox Mae is Born!

DECEMBER 5, 2012

Lennox Mae - Birth Story

I was scheduled for a c-section on Wednesday, December 5th.  I was actually pretty apprehensive because I felt like I knew too much this time around; having experienced a c-section with Harlow previously.  The last time around was rough, labor was rough, making the decision to end with a c-section was hard, and the recovery was incredibly difficult.  I felt like my delivery was nothing what I had imagined, nothing went the way I was expecting it except for the outcome, a beautiful baby girl.

This time I knew what it was like to be prepped for surgery, what kind of medications they would be giving me, and what afterwards would be like.  But it was surreal all the same.  Pete isn't allowed to go into the OR while I'm being prepped.  So I got my spinal alone, with the help of a nurse and anesthesiologist.  But I don't do needles very well, or gracefully! Actually I don't do much gracefully unless I have full and total control.  :) It's hard for me to shut off my thoughts and let someone else take control.  My thoughts can really mess with me! I also had to sit in the OR while they checked and rechecked to make sure they had everything they needed. This sent me into a panic, what do you need 12 different scissors and clamps for?! ha! Not to mention how freezing cold it was in there.  Once I was given the spinal I started to get really tense.  I still can't tell you if it was actually me making myself tense or the medication.  But it felt like someone was gripping me by the back of the neck/shoulders.  Not the most relaxing feeling.  I felt like I couldn't stop fidgeting and could not get comfortable.  When the medication was fully kicked in and they were ready to operate they let Pete come in.  He forgot the camera so I yelled to a nurse to make him go get it! Finally we were ready and he was sitting by my head.  I could hear what all the nurses and doctors were saying and how their conversations were flowing.  It still blows my mind how relaxed they all sounded.  Don't they know they were about to pull a baby out of me!?  I guess it's better than them talking in a panic (like last time with Harlow). I could hear not only their conversations but also what they were doing.  And I could actually feel a lot of it but it wasn't painful just a lot of pressure and tugging.  (TMI? sorry!) And literally minutes after surgery started I heard Lennox' first cry.  It was so awesome, to know that she was out and had a strong healthy cry.  The doctors and nurses told Pete he could take pictures (but I'll spare you the super graphic ones because I still have trouble looking at them myself!) And he got up to cut the umbilical cord and photograph her being checked over and having her foot prints done.  

After what felt like forever, they finally brought her over to me and I actually got to hold her!  Last time I couldn't move to hold Harlow, actually I don't think I was conscious enough to hold her either! We were taken to recovery afterwards and Lennox never left my side.  I had the shakes really bad from some of the medication (which I got last time too) so I had to wait a little while for a new medication to kick in and make them stop before I could hold her again.  I didn't want to drop her! I got to nurse her, watch them take her vitals and give her a bath.  The hospital had just opened a new maternity wing which was awesome!  There is no more taking the baby away to do all of that, they have it so they can do it all right next to mom in recovery.  I literally never lost sight of Lennox from the time I had her to the time we left the hospital to come home. Not to mention the private rooms!  It was nice to have a private room so that Pete could stay overnight with me. I have to say, I did expect it to be a little bit chaotic because it was so new but the nurses and doctors were great.  I actually had an old friend from Jr. High and High School as my nighttime nurse.  Which was nice because it was like someone I already trusted instead of a stranger.

I had already prepared myself for the reality that Harlow wouldn't be able to come and visit me in the hospital but our nurse informed us that the hospital hadn't announced it as Flu season yet so she could come! I literally cried because I wanted her to be able to come and see me, and baby and see that everything was ok. Plus, I've never left her over night before.  When she came to see us she was a little apprehensive at first but eventually she ended up sitting in bed with me, we watched movies, introduced her to baby sister, and just hung out.  It felt more complete that she got to be there.  She was not ready to hold baby sister on the first day she came until right before she was leaving.  I'm so glad she got to see her and hold her. I'll have that memory forever of their first meeting.  It's very special to me to see my two girls together for the first time.

My stay in the hospital went by a lot faster than last time, I was in considerably less pain this time around (but not pain free, lets be real). We had a ton of visitors which helped pass the time so thank you to everyone who came! And thank you to my mom and dad who watched Harlow and stayed at our house so she would be more comfortable.


















Some of the family in the waiting room.


No comments:

Post a Comment